During the 1890s Mayville was one of a number of small schools in Southsea providing private education in the city. Since its beginning at the home of Miss West at 1 Gains Road the school has occupied various premises within a stone’s throw of its first home and current location.
Between 1911 and 1936 the school accepted boarders but in 1936 Miss West transferred the boarding pupils to Charmandean Manor School in Worthing. Mayville reopened in September 1936 as a day school on the same premises and under the leadership of Mrs Livesey the school prospered and was one of the few schools not evacuated during the Second World War and briefly had a group of senior boys.
On the death of Mrs Livesey in 1980 the school became a charitable trust.
Whilst Mayville has always been a mixed school by the early 1990s the male presence in the school was tiny. However, that changed in 1997 with the introduction of boys with the creation of separate classes for boys and girls.
The school has always moved forward with the times and the flooding that hit Southsea in the autumn of 2000 provided an opportunity to take a giant leap forward once the disaster of losing our hall, kitchens, dining room and the entire Pre-Prep was assimilated.
Since the flood the development of our buildings has included a small hall, two new science laboratories, a large and bright art studio, a purpose built music studio, enhanced DT facilities as well as new state of the art buildings for the whole Pre-Prep and Junior Departments and upgrades for the Nursery. The final phase of building was completed by Christmas 2008 with the opening of the Linda Owens Hall. A silver lining to a dark cloud!